Friday, August 12, 2011

Three of the Herd



This will be the first year and my first time ever owning cattle. My herd will be very small, 8 to 15 animals. Individuals are bought in small numbers from nearby raisers or purchased at the end of the auctions after the bigger sized lots are sold and almost everyone else has left that event. Scott is raising them for me and the cattle are grazing on the organic buffer strip planted around my organic crops. The buffer strip is a barrier to prevent contamination by GMO crops that is the predominant new normal agriculture in western Nebraska. I favor heritage seeds and sustainable agriculture. The herd is not organic and I am participating for just a short time in the economic life cycle of this protein source.
Caveat: My = Terese Sovoboda and I (wife and husband, farming partners).

No comments: