Saturday, February 21, 2009

Walter Lawson Brigham, R.I.P.


Walter Lawson Brigham work jeep


Walter was my friend. Walter was a master craftsman, boat builder and pillar in the community of Shelter Island NY. I enjoyed sailboat racing against Walter and his son Lawson at the Shelter Island Yacht Club for many years before we worked together. In 1972, Walter was my construction partner on the first house that he ever built and the first house I ever built at 10 Chequit Avenue. This house I designed for my father, Henry Nelson Bull and his wife, Janet Scellen. There are many stories I could tell you about Walter. I recommend you ask the locals as they can tell you even better ones.

Here is a rule that Walter taught me, "Measure twice and cut once." Whenever I admire the lines of boat, Walter will be with me.

Obit: The Suffolk Times

No comments: