I am writing this for myself to keep track of the steps I took to learn "How to code in WRT for Nokia E71" and the outside reader may discover something useful too.
Task: Within WRT application discover the location of the Nokia E71 device (at NYC:Cutlass studio for example) and send that information as GET request to http://touchtonetours.com/hollywood-usa/delta.php?lat=40.716500&lon=-73.989000 to display the page you see on the cell phone micro-browser.
1. The AccuWidget example is useful to see how you can local weather information via an RSS feed from line 91 of accuwidget.js [var url = "http://rss.accuweather.com/rss/liveweather_rss.asp?metric=1&locCode=" + locationCode;] however the device user must supply the location code from either a menu or special knowledge. I found the interface clunky but that is often expected with example scripts.
Mac OSX Trick 1.1: Download http://prototypewrt.googlecode.com/files/accordionDemo.wgz onto your desktop. Bluetooth > Send file... to your Nokia E71.
Mac OSX Trick 1.2: By right mouse click duplicate the file http://prototypewrt.googlecode.com/files/accordionDemo.wgz that you have just downloaded. Now the file reads 'accordionDemo.wgz copy' so double click the file. The file un-zips and there is a folder with all the components of the WRT (.wgz). Open the folder and launch index.html and see the same micro-browser functionality on your Mac OSX browser. Investigate the code.
3. If I wanted to solve my task by J2ME + Google use link J2ME Google Maps API for useful future exploration. Java ME Location API without Google map.
4. Eclipse + WRT plugin, someday I'll be friends with Eclipse.
5. Arghhh, read entry #7, "...you cannot use location and other system functions through WRT in S60 3rd Edition devices." from Accessing GPS location using WRT - Developer Discussion Boards -- I will solve this tonight!!! Time for Plan B!
6. Wait CS001161 - Obtaining location information WRT on S60 5th Edition may have the beginnings to a solution.
7. Okay, time to bring closure to this. Useful description of Web Developer's Library 1.3 > Guide to Web Developer's Library > Library contents to return to later. Good Location Acquisition API: API description.
9. My solution to finish this submission to NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge Americas due today is http://touchtonetours.com/hollywood-usa/delta.php that looks nice on the Nokia E71.
NAVTEQ Global Challenge
The user writes his/her address into my E71 micro browser form. By some PHP script my server looks up some service like geocoder.us: a free US address geocoder (find the latitude & longitude of any US address - for free ... Free lookups are throttled by your IP address to one request every 15 seconds.) that returns the address as latitude and longitude. I drag take the lat/lon through more PHP and finish the task. I have used a variation of Plan B in 2006 for LBS game Hot-n-Cold, semi-finalist in NAVTEQ Challenge.